Ideas from Sept 6, 2009 Lake AGM Meeting – re Lake Management Plan Issues
(This is a list of all the ideas put forward by those attending the September 6, 2009 AGM meeting- and will inform the work being done this fall in the drafting of the Plan, along with the information from the past years surveys and earlier meetings)
How to ensure regulations are enforced?:
- Participate in drafting new official Plan to ensure that the special needs and concerns of lakeside communities are included (see plan in Township Office)
- Raise awareness with Council of the need for meaningful enforceable by-laws to preserve the quality and character of the lake
- Respect for neighbours regarding noise and lighting
How to maintain the environment including shore zone and buffers?
- See boating behaviour
- Control boat wash to reduce erosion
How to keep safe boating on the lake (speed wake noise etc)
- Limit size of boats and motors on lake.
- Keep safe distance from docks and swimmers.
- If swimmers cross lake they should be accompanied by boat or canoe.
- Encourage smaller or slower boats when the water is very high early in the year.(large
wakes do damage particularly at that time)
How to avoid extreme high and low lake levels and reduce hazards?
- Remove dead logs.
- Keep culverts clean.
- Replace culverts with bridge.
- Control lake level with weir structure (like Clayton Lake or similar)
- Manage level of culverts.
How to maintain good lake water quality including fish habitat, weed control etc) ?
- Establish fixed number of residences or homes which the lake can support without damaging the ecology
- Build fixed limit into the new official Plan