Minutes of the 4th Meeting of
The Patterson Lake Association
483 Porcupine Way
June 13, 2004
Present: Bill Brooks, Lorne Bowerman, Dave MacCrimmon, Martyn Howard, Terry
Regrets: Rhodena Bell.
- Lorne opened the meeting at 2:00 PM. Terry moved seconded by Dave that the agenda be accepted. Carried. Lorne noted that Rhodena was away on a course.
- Dave moved seconded by Martyn that the minutes of the 3rd meeting be accepted as published. Carried.
- Lake Level
Dave reported that the lake level was about 10″. There is some debris in the culverts. The beavers have not been very active. A plywood dam had been put in by someone, but it has been removed. We went around the table for road association comments on the suggested mid-summer level of 10″. Dave reported 100% support from his annual road association meeting. Martyn reported that their meeting had 80%-90% agreement but no higher than that level. One in Martyn’s area objects to any tampering with the water level except by nature. Bill and Lorne will present the proposal to their annual meetings on the August 1th long weekend, but there appears to be 100% support. Terry’s meeting will be on July 10th, however he noted that he had at least four or five owners who were strongly opposed to the level. There was a nil report from Rhodena.
In order to move the discussion along, the meeting agreed that we would invite to our next meeting those lake residents who do not agree with the proposal, in order to find out more about their concerns. The next meeting was set for August 8 at Terry’s, 636 Fairs Lane.
- Hazard Markers
The outdated propane tanks painted by Martyn have been put out. They look good. More offers of tanks have been received. Part of the hazard marking task was to note other markers put out by individuals. The meeting noted two in front of Doug Love’s at the north-eastern end, and one put out by Dave on the eastern side of the islands.
As part of the water level discussion as well, a good discussion was held on water levels of pre-1980. Lorne and Terry both reported that it appears there has been about a 3′ rise in the level. Lorne noted the most obvious criterion to use was the shoal rock as it is unchanging. Old air photographs from 1934 onwards show the rock and surrounding area exposed, but with no vegetation. Bill remembered fishing there with the complete shoal exposed. Lorne noted that from the top of the rock to the surrounding bottom is about 3′. Bill will include a few pages in our history on the changing water levels.
- Water Quality
Lorne reported a secchi reading of 6 metres. That is about what the MVCA readings have been. Lorne and Dave noted that the MVCA look for someone called a Lake Steward to attend meetings and represent the lake. The meeting considered that this was a valid function for the Lake Association. Lorne has been receiving emails looking for attendance at meetings. Because Terry has been active in this area, Dave moved seconded by Bill that Terry be our designated Lake Steward, backed up by all the members.
- Mineral Rights
Nil report from Terry.
- Commercial Development
Nil report from Rhodena.
- Other Business
Bill reported that the cost of halls for an meeting in MacDonalds Corners or Watsons Corners would be about $25. However Bill had reservations about holding any meeting at this time. Bill moved seconded by Dave that we do not hold an annual meeting this year as we have unresolved issues which require input from many lake residents. Carried.
- Bill expressed concern about attendance at our meetings by non-members of the executive. The meeting agreed that input from residents on a specific motion would be welcome at our meetings, but that the motions would be discussed and dealt with by the executive. Residents would be welcome to stay at the meeting, but only as observers.
- Martyn will be stepping aside in September. He will try to find a replacement from his road association. Lorne asked Martyn to notify him if he had any trouble finding a replacement. Lorne also noted that we could not function as a lake association if we did not have a representative from all the areas.
- Terry noted all the debris piled on the downstream side of the culverts, most likely taken from the upstream side of the culverts. Dave will ask the Township for its removal.
- As noted above, the date for the next meeting was set for Sunday August 8, 2004 at 2:00 PM. The meeting will be hosted by Terry at 636 Fairs Lane. Bill moved seconded by Dave that the meeting adjourn. Carried.