Minutes of the Board of Directors of the
Patterson Lake Association of Lanark Highlands
6 Lipstan Ave, Ottawa, ON
April 19, 2007
Present: Lorne Bowerman, Jack Hobbs, Ted Manning, Patrick Gilliland, and Howard Stanley.
Regrets: Rhodena Bell.
- Lorne opened the meeting at 7.00 PM. Lorne acted as secretary in the absence of
Rhodena. Ted moved seconded by Jack that the distributed agenda be accepted. Carried.
- Jack moved seconded by Howard that minutes of the last Board meeting on October 1, 2006 be approved. Carried.
- Financial Report: As of March 31, 2007 we had 52 paid members at $20 per member plus a $70 donation from Hardwood Ridge Road Association for a total income of $1,110.
We have had expenses of $408.56. Our bank balance is $701.44. It was moved by Howard and seconded by Jack that the 2007-2008 fees be set at $20 per member with no increase in the rate. Carried. The meeting discussed collecting fees early at the road association meetings to save the time at the AGM.
- Lorne asked for a review of the decision to proceed with a Lake Management Plan. All agreed to proceed. A good discussion was held about where to go from here in light of the State of the Lake Environment Report 2006, Patterson Lake from the Mississippi Valley Conservation (MVC). The report stated that the lake was in good condition with little change from the first report in 1977. It also warned that we have to be vigilant. Ted spoke about the high pH level near the lake bottom at the test point which was off the shoal near Marys Island, the deepest point in the lake. The single test point did not seem to reflect on the condition of the entire lake. The meeting could not understand why the pH at that one test point on the bottom should increase in the summer when common sense would suggest that it should become more acid. Howard and Jack commented on the large number of springs in the bottom of the lake at the western end. Lorne noted there were only a few creeks feeding the lake. In the end, Ted moved seconded by Howard that the Board members sample the lake this summer on or about the 1st and 15th of a month for pH level and water temperature at or about one metre depth for our six different areas. Carried. Lorne thought the creeks should be done as well so Lorne accepted the task to sample the creek near Kerns and Jack will do the creek at Sobczaks and Brooks. Ted moved seconded by Howard that we authorize expenses up to $100 for suitable testing devices. Carried.
- Lorne asked the meeting to approve our current under revision articles and by-laws (work in progress) to become our interim articles and by-laws. Ted thought that a better wording for Section 2.07 would be “The Association shall be not engage in partisan politics. The Association shall not endorse any candidate for political office”. With this change, Patrick moved seconded by Jack that the revised articles and by-laws be approved and replace the interim set approved on October 1, 2006. Carried. A new set of revised articles and by-laws (work in progress) will be set up for continuing work. It is hoped to have the final set ready for our next AGM.
- Culverts: Ted and Patrick reported that the culverts are open with considerable water flow. They are about one-half full. There has been some road repair. The Board is firm that we should continue monitoring the culverts. The meeting asked Lorne to write a letter to the Township saying that we are proceeding with a Lake Management Plan, that we want to be kept informed about Township staff cleaning the culverts, and that we want to be consulted if there is any discussion on replacing the present culverts. The Association would like stepped culverts investigated in order to assist fish migration.
- Lorne asked the members to think about setting up regular septic tank cleaning years by road association areas. This would ensure it is done so our lake quality does not suffer, and in addition, there should be a saving on the cost. Lorne will contact potential septic tank cleaning contractors to find out their capacity, pricing, and recommendations.
- A newsletter will be sent out in May. Ted will prepared a short summary of our first questionnaire results. Lorne will condense the main points of the MVC lake report. Howard suggested the fees be included with the hope that they can be collected at the road association meetings. Jack suggested that the names and contact information be included for the Board members.
- Meetings: The next meeting was set for 7:00 PM Friday, June 15 at Patrick’s place on Patterson Lake, with Lorne’s place as a back-up location. The following meeting will be Sunday, August 12 from 1:00 to 3:00 PM at Howard’s place. The AGM was set for 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM on Sunday September 2 at Watsons Corners. Lorne will book the Hall. Jack will host the October meeting in Ottawa at a time and date to be determined.
- Adjournment: Jack moved seconded by Patrick that the meeting adjourn at 8:30 PM. Carried.
In the listing below, “(H)” means “home” and “(L)” means “Lake”.
Rhodena Bell, Box 32, McDonalds Corners, ON K0G 1M0
(H)613-267-5291 (L)613-278-2562 email@example.com
Jack Hobbs, (L) 293 Porcupine Way, (H)170 Glenora St, Ottawa, ON K1S 1J7
Lorne Bowerman, (L) 151 Lakeside Road, (H) 6 Lipstan Ave, Nepean, ON K2E 5Z3
(H)613-225-7904 (L)613-278-2813 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ted Manning, (L) 407 Hardwood Ridge Rd, (H) 1980 Saunderson Dr, Ottawa, ON K1G 2E2
(H)613-521-0594 (Cell)613-866-0594 email@example.com
Howard Stanley, (L)632 Fairs Way (H) 313 Hinchey Ave, Ottawa, ON K1Y 1M1
(H)613-722-6846 (L)613-278-1064 firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrick Gilliland, (L)5th Concession B (H)33 Garrison St, Ottawa, ON K1Y 2V1