TOWNSHIP OF LANARK
1. The name of the organization shall be – The
White Pine Cottage Association of Patterson
Lake, Township of Lanark Highlands, which may be shortened to the
White Pine Cottage
Aims and Objectives
2. The aims and objectives of the Association shall
a. To provide a forum for all members to voice
common concerns and issues affecting
the said area.
b. To provide a central contact for communications
internally between association
members, and externally to persons or organizations that deal with the association.
3. Membership in the Association shall be open to property
owners and family of the White Pine
Cottage Owners of Patterson Lake.
4. A member may withdraw from membership by notification
in writing to the Secretary of the
5. Membership may be withdrawn from a person, whether an
owner or not, by a two-thirds (2/3)
majority vote at an Annual Meeting.
6. The membership fee shall be as decided by the Annual
7. Any part of a membership fee set by an Annual
Meeting that is designated as “road maintenance fees or road
fees” shall be obligatory on all property owners in the cottage sub-division developed on
Patterson Lake by Jacques and
Philip Noel. If any cottage property owner fails to pay the road fee for two years in any five year
period, the executive of
the association shall be empowered to collect the through a collection agency, the courts, or the
8. The affairs of the Association shall be managed by a
committee composed of a President, a Vice
President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer.
9. The Executive shall:
a. be responsible to and report to the Annual
b. serve without remuneration;
c. collect and expend Association funds in accordance
with a budget approved by the
d. fill all vacancies in office occurring between Annual
e. convene Annual Meetings of the Association;
f. convene Special General Meetings of the
membership of the Association, when so
Duties of the Executive
10. The President shall preside at all Annual
or Special General Meetings, and shall perform the
duties usual to the office of President.
11. The Vice President shall take over
from the President if the President is unable to perform the duties of the
12. The Secretary shall:
a. keep the minutes of all meetings and distribute them
b. maintain the administrative files of the
c. be the custodian of the Constitution;
d. keep, or arrange to have kept, a list of members;
e. shall assist in directing the overall affairs of
the Association; and,
f. perform such other duties as the nature of his office
may be assigned to him by the
President or an Annual Meeting.
13. The Treasurer shall:
g. receive, deposit, and expend the funds of the
h. prepare and maintain an annual budget of revenue
i. report at each Annual Meeting on the financial
affairs of the Association;
j. perform such other duties as the nature of the office
may require or as may be assigned
to him by the President or a Annual Meeting.
14. If wished by an Annual Meeting, an Auditor shall
be elected. The Auditor shall audit the books
and accounts of the Association and submit a report to the Annual Meeting. The Auditor shall
a member of the Executive.
Nominations and Elections
15. Any member of the Association shall be eligible for
election to any office provided that the
member is a paid-up member of the Association.
16. The term of office of members elected shall be until
the next Annual Meeting. Members may
stand for re-election.
17. The immediate past president of the
Association shall act as a nominating committee for the Association. If the
immediate past president is unable to perform the task, then the president who preceded the
immediate past president shall
perform the duties. The consent of the nominee shall be obtained before nomination. The
immediate past president shall
chair the during elections and turn over the meeting to the newly elected president.
Meetings and Quorums
18. A quorum shall consist of representation of
one-third of the property owners.
19. If a meeting has been duly notified at least thirty
days in advance, and if a quorum was not
available for the meeting, then the President shall adjourn the meeting without making any
and call another meeting within 7 to 30 days from the date of the adjourned meeting. A quorum
subsequent meeting shall be those in attendance.
20. The Annual Meeting of the Association shall be
called by the President usually on the Sunday in
the August Civic Holiday Weekend, or other time mutually agreeable, or failing action by the
President, by the Vice
President or by the Secretary. The Annual Meeting shall review the business of the
financial reports, elect an executive, determine annual membership dues, and conduct other
21. At least one (1) month prior to the date set for the
Annual Meeting, notice shall be given to
property owner by the President or Secretary, either by hand, phone, fax, electronic
mail, or other means,
or by letter sent to the last known address of a member.
22. Special general meetings may be called by the
President, by the Secretary, by the Treasurer, or
by a majority of the property owners of the subdivision. A special general meeting shall conduct
business it considers necessary for the Association.
23. The Executive shall meet at the call of the
President, Vice President, Treasurer, or Secretary. At
least seven days notification of the meeting shall be given by the calling member or
24. All meetings shall be conducted in accordance with
the Abbreviated Rules of Order attached
to this Constitution.
25. Only paid-up members present at the Annual
Meeting shall be eligible to vote.
26. On nonfinancial matters, each person at a meeting
shall have one vote. On financial matters,
each lot at a meeting shall be entitled to one vote. There shall be no proxy votes. In case of a tie,
Chair shall cast a deciding vote.
27. Except as required by Constitution, all matters shall
be decided by a majority vote of one-half
(1/2) plus 1 person.
Changes in Constitution
28. The Constitution may be amended, repealed, or
added to by a majority vote of two-thirds (2/3)
of a vote at any Annual Meeting after notice of the proposed amendment has been circulated
the members not later than one (1) month prior to the date of the meeting at which the
is to be considered.
29. The Fiscal Year of the Association shall be from
August 1 to July 31.
30. A copy of the Constitution is to be given to each
property owner of the White Pine Cottage
Association. A copy may be sent to the Township or other interested party as desired by the
Wind-up or Dissolution
31. In the event of the wind-up or dissolution of the
Association, the liabilities of the organization
shall be paid, and any assets turned over, free of charge, to a like minded follow-on organizations
serving the interests of the area, or failing that to the Township of Lanark
Highlands to be used as they