Minutes of the Board of Directors
The Patterson Lake Association of Lanark Highlands
6 Lipstan Ave, Ottawa
April 17, 2008
Lorne Bowerman, Patrick Gilliland, Jack Hobbs, and Howard Stanley.
Rhodena Bell and Ted Manning
- Lorne opened the meeting at 7:30 PM and noted that we have a quorum. In the absence of Rhodena, Lorne took the minutes and will circulate a draft to the Board prior to publishing them on the Internet.
- Patrick moved seconded by Jack that the agenda be accepted. Carried.
- Howard moved seconded by Jack that the minutes of the last meeting be accepted. Carried. Howard noted that we had two para numbered “6” in the last minutes. Lorne will correct.
- Financial: Howard reported that as of the meeting we have 45 members, and that we have a bank balance totaling $1,020.45. Howard moved seconded by Patrick that the financial report be accepted. Carried. A suggestion was made to Howard to see whether on-line banking could be done which would provide quicker access to end of month statements.
- Lorne commented that he had completed the historical fact sheets for his two assigned subjects of Flora & Fauna, and History of the Lake Development. Lorne said that he quite enjoyed the exercise, which was mostly done using Google. Howard did not have the time to tackle Recreational Use. Lorne offered to take the task on, and Howard accepted. Lorne will check with Ted on his assigned task of Water Management. Lorne plans to
look for the pioneer cemetery on Archie Patterson’s homestead this summer.
- Lorne reported that the website had been successfully transferred from the bowerman.ca website to the pattersonlake.ca website. The website particulars were distributed in the hope that others may become involved in its management, and to provide backup information in case something happens.
- The meeting decided to delay any further discussion on the Lake Management Plan until the next meeting. Lorne noted that all leftover test strips should be given to Ted who will test the lake at the culvert during the summer. The meeting agreed that last year’s results demonstrated the closeness of the results from the different lake areas and from the feeding creeks and springs.
- Jack brought the OPP Crime Prevention & Marine Safety brochure to the meeting. Kathleen Sullivan had picked them up for the Association. It was decided to distribute them at the road association meetings, and distribute any leftovers at the AGM. Patrick suggested we obtain the PDF file and put it up on the website. Lorne will action.
- A good discussion was held on the Cottage Safety and Inquiries Phone Number List: Howard moved seconded by Jack that we include the one-quarter sheet size list with the next newsletter. Carried. Jack suggested that we should try to print the list on coloured stock to make it more attention getting. Lorne will investigate the printing. This will probably be an annual production. A note will be put in the newsletter asking for suggestions on what numbers should be included.
- A good discussion was held on possible summer events, however nothing firm could be decided. Lorne will email Board members for suggestions with the hope of including something in the next newsletter.
- A draft of the first page of the next newsletter was given out showing the ad for Mississippi Valley Conservation. After discussion, it was moved by Howard and seconded by Patrick that we place the 1/8th page ad free of charge. Carried.
- Lorne reported that the first three pages of the next newsletter, due about mid-May, will publish some of the fact sheet data prepared by Lorne. The last page could be used for more general information. Jack suggested that we could place some classified ads there from Lake Association members. The ads could be for sale items, items wanted, or general ads. This would only be available to those who had paid their Association membership dues. After further discussion, Jack moved seconded by Patrick that a classified section be added to the newsletter for members. Carried.
- The next meeting will be hosted by Jack and held at 9:00 AM, Saturday, June 21, at 293 Porcupine Way. There being no further business, Jack moved seconded by Patrick that the meeting adjourn. Carried. The meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM.