Minutes of the 9th Meeting of
The Patterson Lake Association
392 Fairs Lane
August 14, 2005
Present: Lorne Bowerman, Dave MacCrimmon, Howard Stanley, Kathleen Sullivan, Bill
Regrets: Rhodena Bell
- Lorne opened the meeting at 2:00 PM. Kathleen moved seconded by Howard that the agenda be accepted. Carried. Dave moved seconded by Kathleen that the minutes of the last meeting be accepted. Carried.
- Lake Level
Dave reported that the outflow from the Lake is practically zero now. In a discussion of our summer culvert cleaning program, Dave reported that someone during his watch between July 16 to July 20 had come in and cleaned the culvert completely clear so that the lake level just kept going down. The meeting was distressed to hear this because we had agreement that we would leave enough debris in front of the culverts to maintain a lake level of about 8″ to 10″ in the summer. The meeting unanimously agreed that there was no need for this vigilante action; if some person has a problem with the agreed lake level, then they should talk to their representative and not act contrary to the other 109 owners on the lake.
- Dave talked to the Township’s Road Engineer about beaver bafflers. He did not have much faith in them. Dave reported that the work on a permanent solution is on hold.
- The meeting unanimously agreed to set up a roster for clearing the culverts for the rest of the year. It will follow the same pattern as before. At the conclusion of a shift, the next road association will be contacted to give the current state of the culverts. Anyone wishing to help should contact their respective representatives. The shifts and road associations are:
- 20 August to 2 September – Kathleen (Parsons Way/Lane)
- 3 September to 16 September – Bill (Porcupine Way)
- 17 September to 30 September – Dave (Hardwood Ridge Rd)
- 1 October to 14 October – Lorne (White Pine Lane/Lakeside Rd)
- 15 October to 28 October – Howard (Fairs Lane/Way)
- 29 October to 11 November – Kathleen (Parsons Way/Lane)
- 12 November to 25 November – Bill (Porcupine Way)
- 26 November to 9 December – Dave (Hardwood Ridge Rd)
- Lake Quality
Lorne and Trevor Dee had taken samples of the gelatinous mass at the bottom of the eastern end of the lake. They took samples from its top at 5′ of water depth, about 9′ feet of depth, and at 18′ of depth. All samples looked the same. There was no particulate which could be sawdust. The samples were taken to Mississippi Valley Conservation (MVC). A scientist from the Museum of Nature in Ottawa said that “this is an organic mat (floc), biologically created mainly by cyanobacteria. In the floc are many things from pollen to diatoms. Although you cannot see the cyanobacteria easily in these micrographs, they are
small colonies of spherical cells contained within mucilage (organic floc). These colonies mass together to form the large mass you have collected. This type of matter is commonly found in the bottom of lakes. The “pink” colour is most likely the breakdown products from the biological matter and not Fe like I had suggested earlier. I don’t know what the specific
chemical is, but I can say that I have not read anything about this being toxic.”
- Lorne reported that floc or floccules are formed by the flocculation process which is defined in a reference as “the process by which suspended colloidal or very fine particles, are assembled into larger masses or floccules which eventually settle out of suspension.” To give some idea of what were are looking at, Lorne probed the depth of the eastern end in
twelve location with an 18′ sapling. He could only touch bottom just near the creek mouth. At the creek, he measured a depth of 14′. This indicates that the entire cavity at the eastern end is filled from shore to shore down from the 5′ water depth with floccules. It is huge. There has been no mention of this in previous reports on the lake.
- Our Lake Steward, Terry Wilkie was asked about what appears to be a plenteous crop of weeds. Terry did a literature search and told Lorne that there was nothing much we could do about the weeds except pull them. Lorne had contacted the MVC regarding water samples to see if our weeds could be from phosphorus. Susan Lee from MVC said the lake
was scheduled for testing next year. The meeting decided to wait until next year. Kathleen moved seconded by Dave that MVC be requested to test and report on the water quality of the entire lake rather than one place near Mary’s Island. Lorne will follow up. (A copy of the last MVC report is available on the web at this link.)
- Township of Lanark Highlands
Kathleen contacted Leonard Echlin, our Councillor, and discussed water level, zoning bylaws, and bylaw changes. Leonard stated that he would keep us informed of any proposed changes in the zoning bylaws that affect us and that there were no applications for any zoning changes that are currently be considered. We will keep this door open. Lorne reported that
he had received a package from the Township CAO regarding keeping a “ribbon of life” around the lake shore. The concept will be discussed at a future meeting. Meanwhile, Lorne will acknowledge receipt.
- Other Business
Dave asked if we could determine the correct name for MacCrimmon’s Bay or Bell’s Bay. Kathleen will check with the Township. After a discussion on permanent residents on the Lake, each of the representatives was asked to share their list of members. This will only be used by the Executive internally within the Association and will not be released to other persons. There was nothing to report on the Lake history from Rhodena. Lorne distributed copies of the proposed constitution to be voted on at the next meeting.
- Next Meeting
The next meeting (our Annual Meeting ) will be on October 16th at Lorne’s (151 Lakeside Rd).
Bill moved seconded by Howard that the meeting adjourn at 3:40. Carried.
In the listing below, “(H)” means “home” and “(L)” means “Lake”.
Rhodena Bell, Box 32, McDonalds Corners, ON K0G 1M0 (H)267-5291 (L)278-2562 email@example.com
Bill Brooks, 483 Porcupine Way, Box 61, McDonalds Corner, ON K0G 1M0 278-2705
Lorne Bowerman, (L) 151 Lakeside Road, (H) 6 Lipstan Ave, Nepean, ON K2E 5Z3 (H)225-7904 (L)278-2813 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dave MacCrimmon, 399 Hardwood Ridge Road, RR3, Lanark, ON K0G 1K0 278-0184 email@example.com
Kathleen Sullivan, 178 Parsons Way, RR3, Lanark, ON K0G 1K0 278-0931 firstname.lastname@example.org
Howard Stanley, (L)632 Fair’s Lane (H) 313 Hinchey Ave, Ottawa, ON K1Y 1M1 (H)722-6846 email@example.com